Pages

Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Change

There are some people who hate change. It terrifies them and makes them wake up in a cold sweat in the middle of the night. Me, I kind of like change. As long as it’s good. And sometimes I’ve even found myself wanting change because I’m bored or unhappy.

And that’s where I get into trouble.

Because of the way I feel I’ll try something new without even asking God about it just because I want change. I’ve never done anything drastic but I’ve seen friends change jobs, move to a different state (and then move back) all because they felt a certain way.

Now I’m not saying we shouldn’t risk or try new things.

But I think it’s got to be led by God and not our feelings. I think if those of us who aren’t married yet were honest, we want to be married.

And we’re not.

So we think if we change jobs, change churches, move to different state, then we’ll be happy and we won’t feel bad. And then we get to that new job, new church, or new state, and after the newness wears off, we find ourselves feeling the same way we did before.

At least that’s been my experience.

I believe we need to start letting God guide our decisions and when we do I think we’ll experience two things. Change. And being in the will of God.

The change may not come in our outward experiences but the change will come in our hearts.


I guess what I’m saying is that we need to let God lead us to change. The next time you’re feeling a little restless, ask God if it’s the Holy Spirit prompting you for change or it’s just your emotions leading you astray. I know that’s what I’m doing right now.

I sense God is leading me and preparing me for change.

I know some of the details but others I’m completely in the dark. And I’m waiting for God to show me the way. It’s hard not to let my emotions get in the way but everyday I give it to God and ask for Him to move me in His way and His time. (Side note: Proverbs 3:5-6 is a great verse to read and take to heart when you in situations like this).

Have you ever made a change out of emotion? What happened?

Has God ever led you to make a change? What happened?

4 comments:

  1. Yes I've made many a foolish decision stemming from my emotions. Sometimes it was disastrous and other times the LORD in His grace rescued me. I've learned that it is always best to wait and pray and surrender your emotions fully to the LORD and ask Him to make His will evident and clear.
    I am a creature of habit so oftentimes I resist change. But once you submit to His higher plan and purpose I've experience His peace and presence like never before. I feel He's proud of me for listening and obeying! Now if I'd just learn to do it more readily!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hear you. It's always better to sit back an chill and wait for God to show you where to go.

    ReplyDelete
  3. change out of emotion? yes! it bombed, hurt others and left me disappointed and worse off than origianlly.
    chane from God? Yep, even moving states away was filled with confidence b/c God was all over it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Agreed Shauna. Every time change from God happens, I always have peace. Even if the plan looks a little crazy to those around me :)

    ReplyDelete