Pages

Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Fasting

The staff at the church I work at fasted for the first 21 days of January 2010. Some of us (including me) did the Daniel fast (fruits and veggies only) and others are doing an all liquid fast (the brave souls). This whole fasting thing is somewhat new to me. This was only the second time I’d done one for a long period of time. All of us did pretty well…in the first couple of weeks. But by the last week we started to look like the stranded cast from the TV show Lost.

Here are some of the things I fasted about.

• God’s direction of the timing of launching the blog you are currently reading
• Praying for close friends and family members
• My church and church staff
• Government leaders
• People who need healing
• Praying for a future spouse

 Fasting is somewhat of a beautiful mystery to me.

We deny ourselves something, we spend increased time praying and seeking God, and He shows up in a mighty way. I looked up some stuff in the Bible about fasting but still have questions. It seems the people in biblical times often fasted for decisions, healing, God’s power to save them, and repentance. But did they just fast from food? And why does God honor fasting?

Have you ever fasted? If so, what did you do? And for those of you who have studied this, what have you found out about fasting?

3 comments:

  1. Yes. I've fasted. Once for 40 days (only liquids), 21 days (fruits and veggies) and sometimes only for one meal but always I've reaped wonderful benefits; hearing GOD's voice more clearly and being reassured of His great love and wonderful plan for my life and for those I love and have been praying for. Would love to develop a fasting lifestyle!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think about when Jesus went into the desert and fasted for 40 days and saught His father. I don't have much 'study' on fasting but a favorite verse is also Hosea 2:14 'therefore i will allure her, i will lead her into the desert and will speak tenderly to her.' When i've fasted (for job, for family, for my boys), it's a time where I stop caring about the 'world' and care more about God. It's something I could chose to do daily but I don't b/c i'm sinful so fasting 'makes' me think about Him all day long and guess what...He LOVES to speak to me, I just have to listen.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the comments guys! I love hearing other people's fasting experiences :)

    ReplyDelete