Pages

Thursday, April 8, 2010

Google is for Single Girls

You’re probably looking at the title and thinking what in the world does this title have to do with anything?


Let me just tell ya…

So…after putting it off way too long, I decided that my windshield wipers needed to be replaced (especially after I had a near accident on the highway because I couldn’t wipe the rain off my car but that’s a whole different story). I got off the first part of work to get it done since I had zero time before a rain storm was supposed to hit the area. And in Oklahoma…we take our weather seriously. Mostly cause it’s so unpredictable. So…I got into a well-known auto store to buy windshield wiper blades hoping that it would stop my driver’s side windshield wiper from going way to far left and getting stuck on my front mirror…yes…I said my front mirror.

Everything went fabulous.
Heck, the nice guy at the register even put my blades on for me.

Awesome. Problem solved. Now back to work.
Not so fast.

As I drove out of the parking lot, I decided to try my new top of the line windshield wiper blades. Swipe. Swipe. Clunk. Clunk. Panic stricken, I see that my driver side windshield wiper is still going way far to the left and still getting caught on my mirror. Ugh. I couldn’t really afford to go to a mechanic. So…I decided to forge ahead and try to figure it out myself. Oh dear. Luckily, my parents’ home was just a couple of miles down the road. I dialed my mom and told her I was coming over. I arrived and did what any single girl who doesn’t know an engine from a battery cable would do.

I googled it.

And lo and behold, my answer was there! It was just some screw loose at the bottom of the windshield wiper. Awesome, I thought. No problem. So I went out to hunt for the screw. And without much trouble…I find it. But it’s this hexagon shaped thing and I have no clue what tool to use to tighten it. So…I call my dad at his work. Our conversation went something like this.

Me: Uh…what tool do I use?
Dad: The socket wrench
Me: The socket what?
Dad: You know, that tool that is in my black tool box.
Me: Yeah…um…what does it look like?
Dad: It’s metal and…
Me: Oh…I found it. It’s got those circle things you attach to it. How do I use it?

Dad gives long explanation.

Me: I don’t get it.
Dad: Yeah…um. It can be hard to describe. Listen…try and use a wrench. You know what that is?
Me: Yeah…it’s that thing you can use to tighten stuff.
Dad (with not much confidence): Yeah…that’s the one. Let me know how it turns out.

For the record, once I hung up I did try to figure out the socket wrench. After about 15 minutes, I gave up and tried the regular wrench. With a lot of hard work and prayer, I tightened the darn thing and fixed it by myself. And that’s a huge accomplishment since I know zero about tools and cars.

After all was said and done, I thought two things.

Thank God for Google. And God, please send me a man that can mess with this stuff. I don’t like it one bit. So…if you’re married be thankful for the stuff your spouse does for you that you can’t do. And if you’re not find a really good friend (or family member in my case) that has enough patience to help you out. Just sayin’.










6 comments:

  1. Great post! I am so thankful for a husband who will take care of the many things that I don't have a clue about!?! Praying GOD sends you that awesome husband that can do anything and everything! (Your future kids will be blessed too!)

    Liz

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! He doesn't have to know everything, I'll just be happy if he knows a little more than I do about cars (which doesn't have to be a lot because my start level is zero).

    -Carrie

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love laughing with you! Thanks for sharing your life with us. You challenge me daily to be more like Christ.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks! My adventures are often funny :) I have enough "blonde moments" to last a lifetime ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Baby Jesus, Please send me someone who likes to clean because you know I can fix my own car! Thanks!

    Thank God his is into personalizing what we need ;o) I appreciate you sharing...you made me smile!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anon-Glad I made you smile :) Hope God brings you someone who's favorite household item is a Dyson vacuum cleaner!

    ReplyDelete