Pages

Saturday, April 10, 2010

Question for you

My pastor recently preached a marriage and relationship series all rolled into one. And I think that’s not only hard to do but rare in churches these days (Note: I’ve heard Perry Noble at Newspring Church has one out there. I haven’t seen it but I heard it was awesome). Most churches have a marriage series where the unmarried people check out. Or they have a dating series where the married people check out. Or worse, they never talk to people who are unmarried and all they do is focus on marriages which is something I’ve never understood. Don’t get me wrong, marriages are in trouble. But I would argue that if you focused on people and relationships before they get married, you would have a lot less marriages in trouble.

I’m just sayin’.

Anyway, here’s my question. What does your church do? Has your pastor ever had a sermon series talking to both married people and unmarried people?

By the way, here is a link if you want to see my pastor's sermon on this topic.
http://www.lifechurch.tv/message-archive/watch/once-upon-a-marriage

3 comments:

  1. Totally agree! Great post! Maybe pastors will begin to address potential problems (singles) to help alleviate the problems following (marrieds). Sure would cut down on their counseling sessions! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not only is there nothing like this in my church, for either relationships or marriages....there was not even a minimal amount of counseling before the pastor married my wife and I. The pastor asked us "Are you sure you're ready for this step?", and that was it

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow Daniel. That's crazy. I wish churches would tackle this topic more. I really think people would be better prepared for the realties of marriage.

    ReplyDelete